Countdowns

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

First Day of School

My big girl went to school for the first time last week.  I know everyone talks about how hard it is to send your little ones off to school, but I think Charissa and I were just so ready for school and so excited for what the year had in store for her, that we weren't sad at all. 

On the first day we woke up nice and early so we could have a very special breakfast and have plenty of time to get to school.  Here's the little girl in all her first day of school glory:

As a side note, I made Charissa's backpack and it's one of the worst projects I've ever done.  It took forever and I made so many mistakes (which is why it probably took forever), and I'm not sure I'll be doing it again. But she has a backpack that doesn't have a Disney Princess or Dora or Hello Kitty and it didn't cost $70, so I guess it was a success.  Oh - and she likes it. :)


On her way into the school carrying her gift for the teachers.  It's a "love plant." :) 
And this is how Verity felt about Charissa's first day of school.  She was broken hearted that her sister would go off and leave her all alone.  Not really.  I think she was more upset that she wasn't allowed to go to school than whether or not Charissa was there.  But a mother can dream of daughters who love each other like .... sisters.

Look!  They survived the first day of school!  And they're still smiling!  

This is from the second day of school.  Do you think I should start a series called "Mornings with Charissa" in which I catalog every day before she goes to school?  Probably not.  
Although I couldn't resist taking pictures again this morning!!  She was just too funny and being so silly.  I had to capture her.  Look at that little smirk.  I wish I was a better photographer.  

And that's more like it. :)


I'm so thankful that we are able to send CJ to school.  I know that we are all going to benefit from it.

2 comments:

ALB said...

My niece, who is homeschooled, was commenting today how she wished she went to school so that she could get a backpack. I thought, "Why don't I make her one as a surprise!" Want to share your pattern for this super cute backpack with me?

Betsy said...

The pattern is from here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/31757354/Backpack-Tutorial-1

Just to warn you - I had to modify it to make it into a traditional size. The pattern is for a toddler size bag. But it's not hard to do if you keep your head and remember to resize EVERYTHING and not just half your pattern. :)