Countdowns

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, January 22, 2007

The Servant Song

We are travelers on a journey, fellow pilgrims on the road;
We are here to help each other walk the mile and bear the load.
I will hold the Christ-light for you in the night-time of your fear;
I will hold my hand out to you, speak the peace you long to hear.

Sister, let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you;
Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant, too.
Brother, let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you;
Pray that I may have the grace to let you be my servant, too.

I will weep when you are weeping, when you laugh, I'll laugh with you;
I will share your joy and sorrow, till we've seen this journey through.
When we sing to God in heaven, we shall find such harmony,
Born of all we've known together of Christ's love and agony.




We sang this song at our church service last Sunday morning and I've been thinking about it a lot since then. As we sang the first line I began pondering who I was being a "fellow pilgrim" to and who were mine. What an incredible task! To walk alongside someone through all the trials, tears, laughter and song! We think about this when someone gets married and they vow to love the other in "sickness and health" - but when I came to faith no one said to me, "You know, you are now to walk alongside your brothers and sisters in Christ through all circumstances."

I want to be a fellow pilgrim though. God has definitely softened my heart in the last year to want to be there for someone else in need. And I guess that stems from my desire for someone to be faithful to me in their friendship through all the ups and downs my life brings. And I'm learning what it means to be there for someone when they need to laugh, or cry, or be silent, or be fed, or ... when you need me to help you host a dance party (the last one might be a stretch for most of you, but would probably bless my husband tremendously).


I'm glad God planned for the Christian walk to be one with fellowship. I couldn't do it by myself. So thank you to all those who have helped me, are helping me, and will continue to help me. I pray that I can increasingly become someone who is a faithful friend.

No comments: