Countdowns

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, May 28, 2007

How Firm a Foundation

Last night we went to a going away party for a friend of ours, Tyler, who is going to Minneapolis to study at The Bethlehem Institute. We are sad to see him go, but excited about what an incredible opportunity God has laid before him. At the end of the festivities, we sang a few songs and then prayed for Tyler. As we were singing I looked around the room and my heart was warmed by the sight. There were about 20 people there, most in the mid-twenties, and all but four were men. And there they were singing their hearts out in praise to the Lord. What an incredible sight. I know that one of my prayers for years, and the prayers of many other women, is that God was raise up an army of men of faith in our generation. Last night, I was with part of that army. And how it refreshed me! It was so encouraging to see how God is moving in the lives of the young men at our church. Once again, I was overwhelmed with thankfulness for Treasuring Christ Church (for more reasons on this subject go to my March 9th post). Of course, I was also thankful for the three other women there as they were being Biblical women in serving with great hospitality.

I am learning that I really am happiest when I am most satisfied in Jesus. I will leave you with the words from the hymn "How Firm a Foundation" that we sang last night.

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said,
You, who unto Jesus for refuge have fled?

In every condition, in sickness, in health;
In poverty's vale, or abounding in wealth;
At home and abroad, on the land, on the sea,
As thy days may demand, shall My strength ever be.

"Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand."

"When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of grief shall not thee overflow
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress."

"When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine."

"The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to break,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake."

No comments: