Countdowns

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tuesday Tip - Plan for Fun

A couple weeks ago I became really convicted that I don't plan fun activities to do with Charissa.  I often plan "learning activities" and "teaching moments," but I don't plan to do things just because they're fun.  Don't worry - we have fun.  There is much giggling and laughter in the Treece household.  But I don't plan for it - it just happens throughout the course of our day.  And some of you may be wondering why I'm concerned about planning for fun if I know it's already happening.  Well, I think it's about being intentional to pursue a good, close, and fun relationship with my daughters.  I don't want to just be the mother who teaches them things and provides for their needs, but never seems to care if we enjoy each other.  Hopefully the girls will have fun with me doing all of our normal activities (cleaning the house, laundry, running errands, cooking, etc.), but I want to be careful that I plan activities just for the purpose of having fun.  We have family fun time, but I want the girls to know that their Mama seeks to have fun with them too - not just when we're with Daddy.  

So lately I have been trying to make sure I plan playtime with Charissa.  Time where I focus on her and we play a game or read a book or go for a walk ... something that says "I'm all here for you" and something we'll enjoy together.  Well, to be honest I'm more focused on whether or not she'll enjoy it because by that 5th time through "The Wheels on the Bus" I'm ready to hide the book and never find it again.  

I know that this is going to be hard to continue doing once Baby V is born, but even if it is less frequent and we only get one or two good playtimes in during the week, I want to be sure that it's the inclination of my heart to have those times.  

If anyone has any good suggestions on fun playtime activities, I'd love to hear them!  

No comments: