Countdowns

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Weighty Watermelon

I went to the Farmer's Market the other day and bought a watermelon. I always bring a big sturdy bag with me and I had the farmer put it in the bag for me before I had ever picked it up. When I reached for the handles and felt the full weight of the watermelon I had just purchased I realized that I had gotten more than I bargained for. Hoisting Charissa on one side, the watermelon on the other, and Baby Treece in the middle, I made it home regretting my desire to get "the biggest watermelon possible." I put the watermelon on the scale and discovered this:



That is a big watermelon. I bought the thing for just $5, so that comes out to be about $.06 a pound. Not too shabby. Of course then you have to figure out what you're going to do with 32 pounds of watermelon ...

2 comments:

The Head Scibbler: said...

Allrecipes.com has a great recipe for Watermelon Slush. THat sounds bad, but its really good. take the seeds out of the watermelon before you blend it though...

Gina P said...

Or don't take the seeds out. The seeds have lots of nutrition, too. And if your blender grinds them up enough, it's no problem.