Countdowns

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, August 01, 2008

Recommended Reading

Today I finished Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp (my 3rd of 5 summer reading books). I highly recommend reading it. I was so encouraged about how to look at loving, raising, encouraging, and disciplining my daughter. He addresses the heart issues instead of symptoms, and I realized how hard that would be for the first few years, but how fruitful it would be for the rest of her life. Tripp gave such a weighty challenge to parents that they have been entrusted with a few years with their children to guide them to know and honor God and how their encounters with us shape their view of God and the world. When I finished the book I spent a lot of time thinking about how I need to put more thought into my words and actions with Charissa. But before you start to think that this book makes you feel like you have an impossible job ahead of you, I want you to know that I was so encouraged about what I could achieve - even in my failures. Several times Tripp talked about being honest with your children when you fail and how that can grow your relationship and show them humility. Parents will not be perfect, but God's grace is sufficient to cover our blunders.

If you haven't read this book yet, you may borrow my copy. Even if you don't have kids yet I think it's helpful to read and better understand God's purposes in child-rearing.

No comments: