Countdowns

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, July 18, 2008

Busy, Busy Beaver

Charissa and I were at the store yesterday and we saw some hair bows that we really liked. Except, they turned out to not be hair bows with clips, instead they had rubber bands (well, those cloth bands). Charissa won't have enough hair for those things for another 2 years, so I was really disappointed that we couldn't get them. And then I had an idea - I could get them and turn them into clips. So that's what I did last night. I made her 12 new hair bows. Whew. Here's the result of my efforts:
Charissa is clearly a fan. And look how well the green one matches her outfit!
Do you think she has enough hair bows for a girl with 14 hairs?
Keeping in line with the creative, homemaking attitude, I decided to freeze some peaches this morning. I bought a lot at the farmer's market and then realized that we wouldn't eat them before they went bad so that's when I decided to freeze them. I found a pretty easy method for freezing them (you can use this method with a lot of fruits). This is what you do:
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. When it's boiling put whole peaches (with the skins on) in the boiling water for 1 minute.
2. After a minute, take the peaches out and put them in a bowl of icy water. Let them cool for 2 minutes
3. Take them out of the cold water and gently rub the peach to get the skin to come off. It should easily slide right off. (I wish I had known this tip when I was making baby food.)
4. When all the skins are off, cut the peaches into halves, slices, bits - whatever size you want them to be in.
5. Pour white grape juice, apple juice, or peach juice over the slices so that they are covered in the juice. This will help to preserve the flavor, texture, and prevent freezer burn.
6. Seal them tightly in freezer appropriate bags. Make sure you get all the air out so they don't get freezer burn.
7. Voila! Frozen peaches to enjoy whenever you want!
Charissa especially loved helping to pat the bags down flat. It was really easy too. I think start to finish the whole process took less than half an hour - including dishes. YAY!

1 comment:

Julie said...

The bows are so cute!