Before Charissa was born, we were given a lot of hand-me-down baby items and we were so thankful to have them. They have served us well and saved us tons of money. The only down-side to this is that sometimes you get things that aren't your style (a small price to pay in my opinion). One of my favorite infant items is our bouncy seat. Both of our children have loved it and I enjoy that I can easily move it from room to room. But it's definitely not my style. Here's what it looks like:Last week I decided enough was enough - I was tired of looking at it and thinking, "I wish I had a different cover for it." So I decided to make a new cover. I knew it would be a bit of a challenge because it was an odd shape, I had no pattern, and it really did matter how well I sewed it because Verity could crash to the floor if there were sloppy stitches. I found a purple monkey fabric I liked and set out to work. It took me a lot longer than I thought it would because I kept making mistakes and having to rip out the stitches. But 4 nap times later here are my results:
You can't see from these pictures, but we also painted the frame that was bright yellow to a dark brown. Much better. I'm very pleased. I know there are a lot of imperfections and things I would do differently, but it's still ten times better than the blue bees.
My only wish is that I did this earlier ... instead of about a month before Verity outgrows it. Oh well.