Countdowns

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, September 15, 2008

Nesting Syndrome Strikes Again


In several pregnancy books I read when I was pregnant with Charissa they talked about "nesting syndrome." It's when a women gets the urge (sometimes overwhelmingly) to prepare for the baby. That can be buying equipment, rearranging furniture, making food, and on and on. In fact, one book I read said that if the nesting urge came over you during the last week or two of pregnancy that it might be an indicator that labor was soon to follow. In my experience, it's not a valid sign at all.

Well, nesting syndrome hit me pretty hard last week. All I wanted to do was get the girls' room ready, wash baby clothes and stock my pantry. Of course, I'm only 26 weeks so it's way to early to do any of those things. So instead I made myself a little timeline of when I needed to do them and I made a list of the meals I'm going to prepare and freeze. It somewhat helped to alleviate my insanely strong urge to prepare for Verity, but not a ton.

Tomorrow Charissa and I are going to babysit a friend's 3 month old baby girl and I'm really excited about it. I think it'll be good for Charissa and I to spend some time with a baby in our house and see how things go. I mean, I know it's going to be totally different when it's my own baby and we don't give her back after a few hours, but even a glimpse of how Charissa is going to react will be helpful for me. Plus it'll give me an opportunity to continue trying to teach CJ to be gentle with babies. One of her favorite things to do is point out all the baby's features (like their eyes and mouth and tummy), but she doesn't always do it gently.

I'm hoping that my nesting urges subside for about 2 more months and then come back with a vengeance. Because by that point I'll need to be getting ready and can do all those things, but probably won't have the energy. Oh well. That's where Nana comes in. :)

No comments: